Florence Coffee House
Devall Town: Block 1, Lot 10
According to a document held by the current owner, the date of construction was soon after 1850 and the builder was Nelson Potts. Potts was the Builder of many buildings in Baton Rouge during this period of time including his own house at 831 North Street.The property was acquired by John and Lucas Florence in 1848 for the sum of $1335. A structure on the property burned in 1849. The March 30, 1980, SUNDAY ADVOCATE reports that the house was to be reconstructed on Church Street, but was finally rebuilt in 1852 at its present location. The property was sold at auction in 1881 to Mary Jorie and subsequently used as a grocery store. The house was purchased by Dr. and Mrs. Thom in 1971.
Level of Significance: Local
NATIONAL HISTORIC REGISTER BUILDING
The significance of the house is primarily historical. Modern renovations have modified the original Classical architectural style.
(Architectural and Historical Survey of Downtown Baton Rouge, Louisiana – July 1984)